Makhanlal Chaturvedi Rashtriya Patrakarita Evam Sanchar Vishwavidyalaya (Makhanlal Chaturvedi National University of Journalism and Communication) was set up by Act 15 of 1990 of the Legislative Assembly of Madhya Pradesh. The University, named after Makhanlal Chaturvedi, a renowned freedom fighter, poet and journalist, was inaugurated by the then Vice President of India in 1991.
The University is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities and the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). It is NOT an Open University providing distance education. It does not provide education through correspondence. It is not a conventional university having limited territorial jurisdiction. It has jurisdiction throughout the country. The University imparts education outside the country also. The University has its headquarters in Bhopal, with campuses in Noida, Delhi and Khandwa.
- The Vice President of India is the Visitor of the University
- The General Council of the University, which is its Apex Body, consists of the following members:
- A member of the Lok Sabha, nominated by the Speaker of Lok Sabha
- A member of the Rajya Sabha, nominated by the Chairperson of Rajya Sabha
- Chairman of the Press Council of India
- Ten members representing different states nominated by the respective Chief Ministers
- Three members representing three All India Professional Bodies.