Here are ten reasons why Commits is different. We believe Commits is not another college; it is an experience that enables students to have a professional attitude, and become industry-ready.
1. The Marketing Communication programmes at Commits are one-of-their-kind. The one-year diploma and two-year degree programmes are unique non-MBA programmes for students who want to get into Advertising, Digital Media, Public Relations, Events, Retail, Corporate Communications, Media Planning, etc. where there are unlimited and rewarding career opportunities. Commits was the first postgraduate media institute to offer specialized non-MBA Marketing Communications programmes way back in 2001.
2. Commits is the only Indian media institute to be a member of the prestigious ‘Global Communications Project and Symposium’. Commits is one of the founder-members of Globcom, an annual international student-activity involving 15 top colleges and universities from 15 countries across the world. The projects include strategies for multinational aid organisations, global corporations, countries and governments. Notable among them are New Economic Partnership for Africa’s Development; Kingdom of Swaziland, South African and German Tourism Boards; Saving Borneo Rainforests of Malaysia, etc.
3. Learning is more experiential, personalized and intensive. With just 15 students in every specialization students get personal attention from experienced faculty. This enables them to follow innovative teaching methods, similar to that of foreign universities.
4. Students graduate as professionals and adjust to the challenging media work environment easily. Operating out of an ‘office-like’ five-storey building, with compulsory biometric attendance, professional dress code and stress on discipline and punctuality, Commits offers near-replication of the work environment.
5. There is no gap between what is taught at Commits and what the industry expects, as theory and practice blend seamlessly. All specialization courses are taught by senior industry professionals with real-time case studies and live projects who prepare students for the demands of the real world. Through year-long seminars students are exposed to award-winning journalists and filmmakers; advertising, public relations and media professionals.
6. Internships and placements to all students are assured. Commits views academics as a learning experience and not a passport to job placements. However, Commits arranges all internships, which lead to full-time jobs. PR and advertising agencies, newspapers, radio and television channels offer internships and also recruit from Commits every year, with each student getting at least 3-4 job offers.
7. Commits places less dependence on notes and reproduction of content, and more emphasis on structured, independent study, and original practical work. Commits follows teaching and learning methods that include individual programme documentation, lectures, tutorials, seminars, practical work in a studio, use of textbooks, journal papers, electronic databases and other self-study and e-learning materials, project work, practice sessions and learning through case studies, work-based learning, resulting in confidence in learning and better understanding.
8. At Commits it is NOT all work and no play! Alongside rigorous academic work there are several student-centered activities; students go for a college picnic, have a Freshers’ Party, organize Teacher’s Day, Ethnic Day and Cuisine Day, present the Student of the Year Award, and organize Bangalore’s most-sought after mega student seminar, Expressions, through which they learn teamwork, organizing skills, social behavior and professionalism.
9. Our biggest strength is our vast and well-placed alumni network. Our alumni chip in with career advice and also help with internships and placements. Some of the who’s who in the Indian and international media industry are our alumni (see ‘Distinguished Alumni’ section).
10. Emphasis on the fundamentals. We believe that education is for life and not to earn a mere living and so lay great emphasis on personal and professional discipline.